September 28, 2013

Adventures of Cinderella Stars Laura and Santino


In my final post for Celebrate Musicals Week I'm talking about the leading couple in Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella: Laura Osnes and Santino Fontana. Basically there are lots of photos of Laura and Santino, with some thoughts of my own and some interview questions I found online thrown in. So without further ado, let the awesome-ness begin!





They couldn't have picked anyone better to play Ella and the Prince in Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella on Broadway. Laura Osnes and Santino Fontana are absolutely perfect for the roles! I'd never heard of either of them before Cinderella, but it didn't take long for me to become a fan. Even though I haven't seen them perform in person, just seeing the video clips online you can tell that they're perfect for their roles. Laura is a wonderful Cinderella, it just seems very natural and fits her. And boy, can she sing! It wasn't until hearing Laura sing the classic songs from Cinderella when I realized how spectacular they really are. 


Q: You're playing one of the most famous couples in fiction, really — that must be fun.
Osnes: It's true. Cinderella and the prince — they're iconic. The ballgown, the glass slippers. He has a princely sash.
Fontana: And a sword.
Osnes: And armor.



Q: What does it mean to you to be nominated for a Tony Award?
Santino Fontana (Nominated for Best Leading Actor in a Musical, Cinderella): It’s an honor to be recognized for what I love to do. It’s sweet. It’s very kind and unexpected and generous and surprising.


Laura and Santino make a perfect pair on stage, but when not performing they can also be quite the goofballs. If you want proof just check out The Princess Diary video series that I talked about Thursday. They both (along with the rest of the cast as well) seem like such a fun bunch of people. Something that surprised me was how relaxed and calm they are, just messing around and having a fun time backstage just seconds before going onstage.

Q: What have you learned most from working with Santino Fontana in Cinderella?
Osnes: Oh my gosh, I have learned so much from Santino. He is so smart. He’s such a strong actor and his voice is just incredible and he takes from Joan Lader so he always comes in and like tells me all these technicalities about the voice that I just don’t know. He’s so smart and super fun to work with and he has this whole other side of them that’s just this writer/producer/director. He totally has that in him. He’s just so multi-talented. It’s been really wonderful, I feel like I’ve learned a lot from him and it’s hard to even put it into words.

Joining in on Celebrate Musicals Week at Yet Another Period Drama Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I really enjoy reading each and every one.

I try to reply to all comments, so please check the little box that says "Notify Me" or check back to see my reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...